Rolland Cheung | Everything is Agape "God's Love"
Interview with Rolland Cheung - a rare resin artist in Hong Kong, founder of Agape Resin. Explore his artistic process and how faith has been a "reminder" for him along the way.
Agape was founded about 4 years ago. After graduating from college, Rolland likes to try new things. He is constantly in touch with different mediums on the rooftop at home, such as picking up wooden boards on the street and creating with different materials. During the process, he became interested in resin materials and felt that the media industry was very similar to his own personality, so he began to work on resin art and established his first own brand and today's studio.
The most meaningful works for Rolland can be said to be his first creations, which Rolland completed at the earliest and most "simple" times. He said: "Every piece of work you see at the scene is not the purest creation. I think it is no longer possible to imitate its beauty at that time! Due to the lack of skills and materials at that time, various moods and current It’s not the same, so its beauty can only stay with me at the moment.” Rolland is busy working with clients most of the time now, so he can’t just create for the sake of creation, and he has no spare time to do what he likes. But he mentioned his vision, hoping to separate business and personal creation a little bit.
Later, we asked him how he connected faith and creation, and he replied: "I think at this moment, faith is a reminder to me. After studying architectural design in Hong Kong, I gave up because of family reasons. The idea of going overseas for further study. I only had myself and the free time left in front of me, so I tried to find different materials to bring to my home for modification, such as American cardboard I found on the street. At that time, it was the most difficult for my family. It did bring them a lot of inconvenience. In the end, I came across resin art."''
"Faith is like my way to find resin art. He seems to want me to spend ten months to build something "useless", and finally let me touch resin art for only two months, although it is nothing Beautiful and romantic process, but I saw how God polished me through this time. "
The brand Agape stands for "God's love", and the most important message is that "giving" and "receiving" are from God. From the past to the present, God has continuously provided different job opportunities and God’s blessings to Rolland. Even in the most difficult times, He never forsakes Rolland. Once, a non-profit organization approached him for cooperation. Rolland planned to make a ten-meter-long resin tunnel, but the resin material was relatively light, and the typhoon season in Hong Kong and the underground exhibition of the empty mine may affect the integrity of the work. . In the end, not even a single piece of resin was blown away or damaged during the three-week outdoor exhibition.
When Rolland held a resin art workshop in the past, he met a middle school teacher who taught woodworking. He brought a lot of reference pictures and confidently wanted to make the design in his mind. Within ten minutes of the workshop, he began to feel discouraged, saying that resin art was difficult. Rolland has been guiding from the side. After the workshop, the teacher said to him, "I finally understand your opinion on resin art. Sure enough, what you said is true." What Rolland said about resin creation is: "When you do something very planned, but unexpected things always happen, those things are the most precious. People often want to be in complete control of everything, but when God is in control, people are reluctant to let go . On the contrary, when choosing to let go, the whole thing becomes 'just right'."
Agape Resin's brand story represents that unexpected changes are always better and more beautiful than planned ones, and it teaches us to learn to let go. You can control up to 90% of many things, and leave the remaining 10% for God to give you endless surprises.
Interview: Olivia Mok
Words & Images: Jeanet Wong
Learn more about: Agape Resin